Chair Avatars
This is a display area for my spare chairs - my various Twitter avatars.

Why Chairs?
Chairs symbolize social interaction. They invite you to sit down and stay a while; take a load off. You're probably sitting right now. We sit down to digest news. We sit to think. We sit to be social. You might say chairs are the first social media. Okay, you wouldn't but let's pretend.

Some beautiful chairs are painful to sit on (talkin' to you Frank Lloyd Wright, and owners of Indian restaurants everywhere). Many comfy chairs can look quite ugly. Chairs can fit with all situations - from thrones to bean-bags. Lawn chairs say "relax, enjoy the weather." Kitchen chairs say "have a bite." Dentists' chairs say "sit down and scream a while."

As an early user of Twitter in '07, I began to explore a dynamic avatar idea – it was always easy to identify my feed based on the avatar's subject matter, but the actual image changed often. If you followed me and my meanderings, I hope you found the conversation fun and/or thoughtful. Pull up a chair.

The avatar history is captured below...

Jul 9, 2020

Broken Upholstered Barrel-Back Wing Chair

My Twitter avatar has gone unchanged for several years, with the Breuer Cesca chair in the place of honour.  Given the annus horribilis that is 2020, upon seeing this broken down, exhausted chair go by online, I immediately thought it would be the perfect update for my chairvatar.

In the pantheon of 19th century lounge or parlour furniture it is probably the upholstered wing back chair that sits at the centre.  I'm no expert in the genre, but this would probably be classified as a barrel-backed wing chair with Queen Anne legs.

This broken-down, tired, 20th-century-replica specimen seems like a good symbol of the year so far… and probably for a while ahead of us as well.  Hang in there everyone, and hope for brighter days ahead.

(Tried to follow the pic back to the source, but it's thoroughly disconnected from the original photographer by social media. Will happily credit if ID'd)